Handing down the Word to faithful men
To raise up faithful preachers for the church and her mission.
We believe that it is through the Word of God that God gets his work done in the world. Preaching is a central way he gets his Word into the church. For that reason, Paul instructs us, “what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also” (2Tim. 2:2). The preaching cohort is a small band of brothers who desire to minister the Word in vocational pastoral ministry.
We believe the health of the church hangs on the faithfulness of the preached Word.
Practice and Progress
We don’t aim for perfect preaching, but progress in preaching.
We believe the Lord uses our Word-centered friendships to spur us on to more faithful Bible handling.
Men meet monthly for ninety minutes to sharpen their tools for biblical interpretation and exposition. Each month two men present their interpretive work on a biblical passage for group discussion. In addition, one of the men preaches a short sermon, each man preaching once per year. In 2018–19 we are working through 1 Peter.
Simeon Trust Preaching Workshop
Each year the men travel to Charleston to attend a three-day preaching workshop through the Charles Simeon Trust. These workshops include instructional sessions for principles of exposition, model expositions, and eight hours of small group presentation and discussion through a book of the Bible. Each workshop focuses on different biblical genre and book.
Teaching and Preaching
While not a formal part of the preaching cohort, men are deployed for more faithful ministry of the Word throughout the church. This may include children’s ministry, youth ministry, elective teaching, and in some cases preaching on Sunday.
LINKS & RESOURCES
- Cohort Workshop Preparation Worksheet
- Simeon Trust Preaching Workshops and Online Courses
- Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God’s Word Today by David Helm
- Christ from Beginning to End: How the Full Story of Scripture Reveals the Full Glory of Christ by Trent Hunter and Stephen Wellum
- Preaching?: Simple Teaching on Simply Preaching by Alex Motyer
- Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon by Bryan Chapell
- Lectures to My Students by Charles Haddon Spurgeon
Desire to preach?
Get in touch with Pastor Trent.